'98 Sable / Taurus - Torquing Lug Nuts

I just read a Google message that says we should torque lug nuts to 85 to

105 ft. pounds to prevent warping of the rotors and that we should do this when we get back in the car from having our tires changed or anytime a service shop has removed the wheels. Eh.... Is it necessary to actually jack the car up first or is it sufficient to simply loosen the lug nuts and retorque them properly? I thought that piping hot rotors followed by a quick swim through standing water would warp rotors like your favorite stainless steel skillet, but if torquing is all I have to do to keep my rotors from warping, I'm all for it. What's the story here?

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus