98 SABLE-Trunk release button-Trunk just pops open??

On my 98 merc. sable, when I hit the trunk release button from inside the car, my trunk just shoots open---all the way open. My guess is this isn't the way it
was designed. Any suggestions on what to do about this. Thanks
|On my 98 merc. sable, when I hit the trunk release button from inside the car, my trunk just shoots open---all the way open. My guess is this isn't the way it was designed. Any suggestions on what to do about this. Thanks
I have a 2003 that does the same thing. It doesn't *shoot* open, but it releases and rises up to full open.
Lg
Obviously a quite older vehicle, but my 1987 Town Car does the same thing. Pop the trunk and the trunk lid opens fully.

car, my trunk just shoots open---all the way open. My guess is this isn't the way it was designed. Any suggestions on what to do about this. Thanks

"Davo88" wrote

Strap some weight to the inside of the lid if you don't like how it opens.
But if you ever install an alarm with a remote that also unlocks the trunk, don't come crying to me when you're in the middle of a rainstorm with three paper bags full of groceries in your arms, and the trunk doesn't open far enough to put them in, and while trying to knock it open with your knee you drop the bag with the eggs, slip on the mess, and bonk your head on the trunk lid, pushing it closed again.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

my trunk just shoots open---all the way open. My guess is this isn't the way it was designed. Any suggestions on what to do about this. Thanks
The torsion bars are set too strong. When you open the trunk, you can see them below the rear window. They are hooked into one of 3 notches. Just move them up or down a notch and try again. Have somebody hold the trunk open while you move them, for safety. Normally, the trunk should open about 1/3 to 1/2.
Thanks---I'll try that!