98 Taurus 3.0 lower manifold elbow part # 17255 leaking.

I am trying to help my neighbor repair his Taurus. He had an antifreeze leak from a pin hole where the heater hose connects to the elbow that connects to the lower intake manifold This elbow is the
metal block that the sensors for the temperture gauge and computer screw into.
He ordered a replacement elbow Part # 17255 from Ford thinking it would screw into the lower manifold casting but it has no threads. It must be pressed into the manifold which is aluminum. We are afraid to try and remove the old one, and maybe break the aluminum manifold, without some more information on how to properly do it. None of the manuals we have looked at (Motors, Haynes, etc have any information on how to remove it.
If anyone has ever replaced one of these elbows or has access to a factory manual we would appreciate any information on how to do it without breaking something. there is a picture of the new elbow at: http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep &ext=1&groupid56589&ck Van
Vangard wrote:

You could ask the Ford dealer.
You may have to remove the intake manifold, which should not be that hard. Then take it to a machine shop.
Jeff
Vangard wrote:

JUnkyard manifold?
Maybe drill out slightly and JB weld?
Bob

It's a press fit with LocTite applied. I've removed them by cross drilling the body and using a pry bar to break it loose. Sometimes you can work them out after that.
Your best bet would probably be to cut it off, thread the piece left in the intake, and use a slide hammer or make a puller out of a deep socket or pipe.
Hi
Looks like from the picture you might try putting a wrench on it and try wiggling it back and forth while gently prying at it with a screwdriver. I did something like this one. It eventually comes out after a time. You need lots of that liquid wrench stuff, and patience..
Fred