98 Taurus Cam Sensor Needed??

Hi,

This has been asked before with no response:

What will happen if you run the car with the cam sensor off?

Anyone have a guess? I guess the engine runs fine but there is a slight increase in emissions and decrease in performance. Any long term bad effects. The car is worth maybe $2800 and they want $600 for replacing the sensor.

Thanks

Reply to
William Snyder

We had a cam sensor go in a car of ours. Other than the MIL light the only real thing we noticed was it took significantly more cranking to start. Although we didn't install it ourselves, it wasn't a big deal and the part was only like $30.

Which engine does your Taurus have? The 12V base engine or the 24V upgrade? I could check the service manual and see how much work it requires for your car.

Reply to
Bill 2

The sensor is not hard to change and as previously quoted, only about 30 bucks. It is kind of buried on the 3.0 Vulcan under the plastic ductwork that carries the spark plug wires. If the rotor of the sensor shattered, you need to clean out all the little pieces left behind. Hopefully the aluminum stator piece was not damaged by the shrapnel from the rotor. Changing the stator piece is a bit more work. Mine was slightly bent to the point where it would have cause contact with the new rotor, but I was able to gently bend it back with some strong needle nose pliers without having to remove it.

I did notice a notable lack of power running in the default mode that the engine management systems goes into without the sensor, so its definitely worth replacing.

Chris Bowne Stonington, CT

Reply to
Chris Bowne

================================= I think the sensor is to time the fuel injectors. I've change a few of them. Every one I've seen, the drive was bad too. I'm not really sure about long term effects, the cars always seemed to run ok with a bad sensor though. They arent that hard to change, you might get a second opinion on the price from another shop. $600 is too much.

Reply to
Scott M

The computer is programmed to "guess" at the timing, which works amazingly well enough to keep the car running. You will notice some misfires, and sometimes hard starting. But you should get it fixed, otherwise you might find some catalyst damage over the long run because the mixture is not correct. I suspect this may be why I am now getting a bank 2 catalyst efficiency code; I let mine go too long. But that may just be coincidence.

My local Ford dealer in Denver replaced both the synchronizer and the sensor (mine is a 97) for $350. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the 98, but they are probably similar. When it fails, the sensor magnet starts to come apart and the pieces damage the synchronizer.

My sensor & synchronizer failed again after 11,500 miles which Ford corrected at no charge. I'm hoping that this doesn't show a trend, although I think there may be a quality problem with the Ford replacements.

Good luck. GT

Reply to
GT

:-( $350 ! I was afraid of that........ I finally got tied of looking at the mil code and decided to replace the sensor only to find the rotor in 50 pieces. Oh well, I stick it on the list behind the cat, power steering line, and motor mounts. UGHHHH!!!!

Reply to
Tiger

What i want to know is why the engine management system needs a cam sensor at all? Non of the early vulcan 3.0's had them. And they ran fine. What's changed on the latter model 3.0's that the computer needs more information or go into limp mode? Was it 96 or 98 when they made the change?

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

It looks like the 95 is EEC-IV, while the 96 is EEC-V. That probably coincides with going to the OBD-II diagnostic system.

The 96 Taurus has a camshaft position sensor, but it is called a "cylinder identification sensor". They must have cleaned up the wording for 97 and later. I didn't see a sensor for 95 & previous.

My guess is that the valve timing in the 3.0 liter engine is such that it improves performance and emissions if the fuel is injected at just the right time. Otherwise, the vapor condenses and you get misfires. They say this is bad for the catalyst, but I find that hard to believe. Contaminants such as heavy metals are bad for catalysts.

Ford also went nuts with the catalyst design in those models, with several converters packaged in the entire assembly and sensors monitoring the overall efficiency. This gives rise to the P0430 error which shows up. To me, that is just a nuisance error, because it will easily pass the emissions test in Denver with a marginal efficiency showing up in the computer. But, unfortunately, the idiot light is turned on and becomes an annoyance.

I'm thinking of taping some black electrical tape over the dash area to cover up the annoyance. I'll check it weekly with the reader to see if any errors other than the P0430 error occur.

I have ordered a PC-based B&B "Autotap" diagnostic system to analyze the problems with this car. If I can find the source of the problem, then I am money ahead, rather than take it to the dealer and have them throw parts at it. I've heard of people spending over $1200 for this problem and the error still shows up.

GT

fixed,

difference

sensor

synchronizer.

trend,

Reply to
GT

Ler me know how the autotap works out. I have been thinking of getting one. Did you get the generic one or just the ford one?

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

Bob,

I ordered the basic unit, which includes the USB interface to the OBD-II connector and basic software to run on the laptop. Then, I added the Ford powertrain specific add-on software. My logic was that if I buy another US make of car, I'll just get the add-on for that manufacturer.

This looks like it should give the info I need, and they say it can record the trip, which is something that the dealer techs never bother to do - thus throw parts at a problem. :-)

It should ship on Monday, I'll keep you posted. I'm anxious to see just what's in that mysterious computer...

GT

probably

previous.

misfires.