98 taurus clicking

i have a 98 taurus, when i turn off the engine i hear several clicking sounds coming from the engine, occasionally when i start it i hear it, any ideas? thanks.

Try standing in front of the car with the hood up and the engine running, and see if the engine cooling fan is running-you will be able to hear the fan and feel air- if it is not running turn on the air conditioner or defroster, which should turn the fan on; have someone switch off the engine and see if the noise is coming from the fan blade; if so, you will need to replace the fan motor.

ted it does'nt do it when the car is running only when i turn it off. as the car is going off i hear it
paul1958 wrote:

Sounds like dieseling to me. How often did you put in fuel injector cleaner? Maybe the inside of your combustion chambers are dirty.
is not dieseling, not the same sound, plus use injector cleaner faithfully.
yes, that is exactly as I understood your post, that is why I said to have someone turn the engine off as you listen for the noise.

yes, I understood your post; that is why I said to have someone turn the engine off while you listen for the noise.

oops! sorry for the multiple responses-

yes, I understood your post; please reread my response.

checked the fan blades not coming from there seems to be coming from one of the pulleys. might be the top one going to the ohc. not for sure though.
ok, might be in either the belt adjustment or the idler pulley, or even the belt itself if it is frayed, although you were pretty certain there was no noise with the engine running, and either of these should make noise then; to check more closely you will need to remove the combined reservoir for the windshield washer and engine coolant; there is only one bolt holding it in and it you can see most of the serpentine drive belt with it out of the way. Please let the group know what you find.

tensioner is okay and it is a pretty new belt, going to dig a little further, will let you what i find.