98 Taurus - Florida Heat - climate control only allows hot air

Thanks for any help,
My friend has a 98 taurus with auto-type climate controls. No matter where the temperature is set, the system only delivers hot air to the
passenger cabin. All the other features seem to work fine: vent/defrost/floor all seem to direct the air properly. With the a/c off, only heat is delivered. With the a/c on,the compressor kicks on, and the lines and evap get cold.
It just seems to act as though the cold/hot damper is stuck in hot. the problem occured all at once a few weeks ago.
I read one prior post which suggested checking the plugs in back of the glove box. None were dislodged.
Again, any help is appreciated.
mookie opined in

check for a hissing sound under dash... probably blend door or actualtor
here's google search:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF - 8&q=blend+door+a%2Fc+hot&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Dalt.autos.ford.*
cut and paste the link

Thanks, after reading the previous posts, it's certainly something needs looking into. Just picked up a Haines manual at lunch to find where the actuator is, and how to check it.
Thanks again, John
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (mookie) wrote in message

After removing the blend door actuator, it was obvious the AC was working great, the actuator just wasn't operating the blend door. Without any confidence in how to check the signal coming to the actuator, I took a gamble and bought a new actuator - but it was not to be. I plugged in the actuator without mounting it, and there was no movement of the motor drive.
So, I'm assuming it's not getting proper signals from the "remote climate control module", or even further back, like the main enviro control panel in the dash.
Any thoughts on how to nail-it-down? Either way, the next stop for parts will be the local junkyard rather than the dealer.
Thanks