98 Taurus, locks are sticking

Hi All, I have a 98 Taurus with regular power locks (no remote entry). My problem is that when I put the key in the lock it will not turn. It doesn't matter which way I put it in. It does the same thing with a cut key and doesn't matter which door I use. I have to stand there jiggling it left and right, and they will randomly unlock. It does this in the warm and cold. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Adam

Reply to
ADam

From the way you wrote it, lock ease or liquid graphite. Assuming it's the lock itself

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for the tip! I woudl much rather spend a few bucks and try this than spend all day taking a door apart.

On a side note, when I get out of the car, I hit the lock button, and then close the door. Any chance that closing a door while it is locked could be causing this?

Reply to
ADam

Not if its the lock cylinder for sure.... And it shouldn't hurt to do it that way anyway. Also while your at it, lube the crap out of the latches on the doors with WD40 or something like it.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Funny you should mention lubing the doors. I had the whole problem last year where the dome light wouldn't shut off and the doors wouldn't lock because the car thought they were open! I got the WD40 and hosed the latches down until they were dripping. Then I was standing in the parking lot slamming my doors for 5 minutes. People must have thought I was nuts, but it worked! The Taurus is a funny beast.

Reply to
ADam

Yep, a VERY common problem on the Taurus.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman