98 Taurus squeak

I own a 98 Taurus with a squeak coming from the steering. This happens when steering left or right. It appears to be coming from the main steering "cylinder" behind the engine. Has anyone had this problem, or
know what it takes to repair it?
Gary
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (GARY) wrote:

Squeaks related to steering can be very hard to find, due to their sound frequency and nature..
Suggest you check again, I've never heard of a "squeaky" PS rack... though there's a first time for anything and I aint a pro, after all.
MOST likely: A weight-bearing ball joint or strut bearing.
you pay..DEAL with it!

IIRC, this is/was a known problem with the G3 Taurus and I think there might be a TSB about it.
Jimbo
Does it only happen when the car is moving down the road, or does it also do it while sitting still in the driveway?
I can only hear it while sitting still. I have also removed the front wheels and it does it while raised on jackstands. It seems to be coming from the tie rods (?is this what they are called) where they come out of the steering cylinder. Is the boot filled with grease? It sounds like it is coming from inside the boot.
Gary
Poke a very small hole in the boot and spray some WD40 in it with the little red tube that comes with it.

The OEM boot has no way to grease it, it is supposed to be a sealed unit. You can replace it with one made by Moog, available at your local autoparts store, for about $30 each, and it will have a grease fitting on it. On an 8 year old car, the grease may well have worked it's way out of that joint.