98 Windstar Door Panel Removal

HI,

I need to remove the front door panels in order to access the power door lock motors. I find two screws at the bottom of the panel, and when those are removed, the panel appears to move slightly upward in order to release one or more plastic hooks which latch into the door. But it is impossible to move the panel far enough to remove it, almost like there is something else holding it. I don't see any other removable parts on the door to gain access to hidden screws. What exactly is the trick to getting the door panel off?

Also I have heard that there are aftermarket replacements for the original power door lock motors that cost about 1/3 what Ford wants for one. Has anyone had any experience with these or can recommend a source? Unfortunately 3 out of 4 of my door locks no longer function.

Reply to
Bonita Lee Geniac

will

There are a total of three screws to remove, including the two you found at the bottom of the panel. Once you pop the plate off that holds the power window and power door lock switch, you will find the third screw. You will also have to remove the black trim around the door handle. After the screws, the switches, and inside door handle trim are removed, simply lift-up on what's left and it the remaining panel will unsnap and come off. Just be gentle and patient.

Reply to
TNGUY