98 Windstar - IMRC Valve

My car failed the CA smog test. Although everything is within specs, the CHECK ENGINElight came on during testing.

The shop replaced the IMRC valve ($180), and told me to come back in

300 miles so the system could reset itself. I've been back 3 times, and am now over 1,000 city and hwy miles with no reset. (They are not charging for retests)

Is this unusual???

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
afe

did they reset the light? (is the check engine light off)? If so, they can only pass it if the P1000 code is gone. That means the car has gone through a complete "drive cycle". There is a procedure to follow to get that code to clear (type of driving) It could be that you are too light footed, but it should be gone after 1000 miles! I think I would have them disconnect the battery cable for 2 minutes (to reset the ECM) , look up the driving procedure for you, then drive the car covering all the procedures in the book a few times. Then take it back to check for the P1000 GL

Reply to
Scott M