98 Windstar - Smells of Oil from the blower vents.

I'm getting this oil smell from the blower vents.When I'm idling its worse.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Nomad

Reply to
Nomad

pick one

Nomad opined in news:CyIPd.513$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

And inspect that rubber gasket strip that's supposed to mate with the hood carefully

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Do you think his hood gasket might be blown?

I've heard they go sometimes.

Doh!

Reply to
sleepdog

Hood gasket??? LOL

BTW: the smell is still there and it's getting worse. I don't understand how. I see no visible leak and the blower assembly is somewhat sealed. Still confused.

Nomad

Reply to
Nomad

Have you looked from underneath? By that I mean put the vehicle on jack stands and get under it to have a look. The HVAC system will get some air from the engine compartment, so if there is a smell it will put it in the vehicle.

Reply to
pick one

Nomad opined ..the blower assembly is somewhat sealed.

What does that mean?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Maybe 'pick one' has a point. I'll bring it to the local garage and hoist it. Maybe there's something leaking that's out of site.

I'll check the "HVAC" system like you said.

What I meant was the housing can only suck air from one location and not from anywhere else (except from within the compartment). I thought this forum was to help each other and not criticize what we type. Once a geezer always a geezer :).

I don't smell Prestone...just oil....so that may rule out a Core leak...incase oil is getting into the cooling system.

Keep them coming.

Nomad

Reply to
Nomad

What do you mean maybe? If all you did was look from the hood opening and maybe from trying to look from the sides, you have not really done a proper inspection.

What is too check? It's clear it works correctly.

If you had a core leak other symptoms would be evident, like constantly loosing coolant, discolored AC condensate. If oil were getting in the coolant a lot of other symptoms would manifest. Prehaps you are getting critized because you are not using any real logic in your quest for finding the root cause of your problem.

Reply to
pick one