98 Windstar - speed sensor

98 ford windstar

When first started from cold, my transmission doesn't shift for about

2 - 5 miles. I can drive locked up. The speedo also doesn't move off 0 during that time. After a few miles, all works fine.

I was told that this was probably a defective speed sensor. This was a best guess, but no electronic diagnostic test was used.

Where is the sensor located? Is this sensor an easy part to reach and replace? Any special tools required?

Thanks

Reply to
FrankD

Go on autozone.com and look for the VSS location... may be info on replacing it, as well

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Autozone site does not show part location or any info about replacement of VSS. Part is $23. I've been quoted $200 - $300 for repair. Sounds high unless there is lots of labor involved. Is RR difficult as a home garage project?

Reply to
FrankD

Reply to
timer