'98 Winstar 3.8L head gasket. How much?

Hi, Friend's '98 winstar is blowing white smoke out of its tail pipe. Coolant is disappearing from the overflow bottle. I'm assuming it's the head gasket. How much would it cost to replace it?
Is there any other thing that would cause it to blow white smoke? I think its timing belt was just replaced a few weeks ago... I read timing belt cover gasket has something to do with oil/coolant in the newsgroup. I'm not too familar with it. Can someone shed some light on it?
Thanks.
On 7 Jun 2004 03:01:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (n) wrote:

38 does not have a timing belt - it has timing chain. Timing cover gaskets CAN leak antifreeze. If oil has gotten into the oil on a 3.8 you can kiss it good bye.