98 winstar rear a/c

my rear a/c on my duel a/c system in my 98 ford winstar works sometimes.With the front switch in a/c mode the rear a/c blows heat out of the lower vent and nothing out of the overhead vents, at other times the
rear a/c blows cold air out of the overhead vents. What's wrong?
It's broke hard, I had mine rigged so it work off the front a/c unit, only cold air would work.

I FOUND THE PROBLEM WITH THE REAR AIR. IT WAS THE FAN SWITCH ON THE DASH, THE VACUUM CONTROL ON IT WAS LEAKING.