99 Contour won't start

Any suggestions on what could be bad.

My Contour shut off while driving down the road. Had it towed home. It started 2 or 3 times after that and now it won't start at all. It acts like it wants to start but won't and you can hear the fuel pump kicking on and off..

Could it have anything to do with the ignition modular?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
brittanyrose

step one verify fuel pressure-- use a guage most auto parts stores will have a unit you can buy. step 2 verify spark -- most autoparts stores have a tester or you can use an old sparkplug if you have fuel pressure and spark check for codes and post them here

Reply to
Rob

Like Rob said, verify you have fuel pressure and spark. If it's a 2.5L then the next place to look is the timing belt, especially if it has ~100K miles or so.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

oh crap yah timing belt ... when you are cranking the engine does it sound funny? like the starter whirs differently than expected?

Reply to
Rob

The 2.5 does not have belts, uses chains. If one jumped it will set a code.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Brain fart. I meant 2.0. It's common for the idler to freeze up and take out the belt.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

The starter sounds normal. It actually sounds like it wants to start and it almost will sometimes.

I'am checking the fuel pressure and spark this weekend.

Reply to
brittanyrose