99 Crown Vic Auto climate sensor squealing

The Automatic climate control in my 99 Crown Vic takes to squealing once in a while.

It is a high pitched squeal like a sensor or smoke detector.

If you change it to another setting or adjust the fan speed it stops for a few seconds and then starts up again.

Eventually it settles down for a while.

Any ideas before I start pulling the dash apart?

Thanks in advance

Pat

Reply to
Patrick Fitzgerald

Sounds like it could be a the bearings on one of the fans going bad.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Not familiar with the Ford climate control, but many others have an "aspirator" on the in-car temp sensor. This is a tiny fan that draws air past the thermistor to sense cabin temp. On my old Chrysler it would take to squealing once in a while 'till I took it out, cleaned it, and re-lubricated the tiny little fan motor.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

thats when ya woke up

lmfao tgese are FORDS why would you tell us about dodge

hurc ast

Reply to
omarsimms25793

Reply to
tom

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going top check whatever kind of sensor that is behind the little grille in the dash above the climate control. I suspect it is the sensor in there that is squealing. It's to high pitched for a fan bearing, to my ears, but I'll know soon enough. I'm not sure what kind of sensor is in there; with a bit of luck it just needs a cleaning.

Thanks for the replies

Reply to
Patrick Fitzgerald