99 F150 4x4 Brake Shudder

I have a 99 F150 6cyl 4x4 that has a brake shudder when I am almost stopped and touching the brakes lightly.... It has no other symptoms of warped rotors. It seems to happen when I am almost stopped....seems like the antilocks are kicking in when they shouldn't be. Any thoughts as to what it might be? Also, the truck has 91k on it. I have never replaced tranny fluid (it is a

5speed). Is that something that should be done and can I do that myself? How about the fluid in the differential? How do you check that and what do you top it off with if it needs some?

Thanks in advance! tom

Reply to
TomM in NY

The brake shudder sounds like you have completely worn down the brake pads and now have metal pad backing touching the rotor. If this is true, then you probably damaged the rotor beyond a simple turning. Expensive brake job.

Look in the owner's manual for fluid recommendations. My 76 F250 4 speed tranny recommends 50W oil (non-hypoid). The differential is most likely a hypoid gear oil. 85-90W oil is common.

Check for an access plug toward the top of the differential housing. That will allow you to reach in with a finger and check the oil level. Likewise, there should be an access plug toward the top of the tranny housing. I change the tranny oil every 50,000 miles.

GT

Reply to
GT