99 F150 all of a sudden won't turn over

I have a 99 F150-V6, 5speed with 80k on it. Today I went to the store and when I came out it wouldn't turn over. I tried to have it jumped and it wouldn't turn over...banged on the starter and still nothing. The guy gave me a pull and I bump started it and that got me home... I have never replaced the battery but the lights and all seem ok.... Anyone have any ideas where to start to look for the problem? The garage can't take it til the 8th.... Thanks in advance, tom

PS Since gas prices have gone up, she gets very little use.... Sits in the garage a lot....maybe gets driven once or twice a week at the most....

Reply to
TomM in NY

At the battery.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Does it click when you try to engage the starter? If not, and you have checked to be sure the battery is good and the terminals clean, the next step is the solenoid. Some Fords have two solenoids with one on the fender liner and another on the starter. One problem that I crossed and found a bit elusive is the terminal where the ignition wire attaches to the solenoid on the starter. They sometimes corrode. The fix is a good cleaning and make sure it is tight. Sometimes the wire terminal has to be replaced if it has had a bad connection very long or in bad condition.

Reply to
lugnut