99 F150 Odometer is off and then comes on after a mile or so

I have a 99 F150 4x4 V6 that the odometer sometimes is off when I start it and then after a mile or so it will come on. Any suggestions as to what I could
check?
Thanks in advance! tom
my 2001 expedition does that too, probably a loose connector?