99 ford escort blown engine

Anyone,

My 99 ford escort engine locked up and I need some advice on whether to trash the car or put a used engine in it? Sounds like this problem has happened before. The car seemed like it was misfiring..Replaced plugs and wires. This helped but the symptoms came back after a week or so. Then I drove to the gas station approx.

10 miles, car was driving fine, no noises, vibrations or noticeable changes to ride, acceleration, etc. After filling the tank the engine started very rough and a very loud pinging noise (valves clattering?) as the engine ran. I immediately shut the engine off. I started the engine again and the pining was less severe and I drove the car to the side of the building. The car was towed to a shop the next day and the mechanic said the engine was seized up and it needed to be replaced. Is this common? The only thing I can think of is that the oil pump failed and the engine failed from lack of oil?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Scott

Reply to
Wolf Dawg

It very likely dropped a valve seat. I've seen it numerous times on late 90s Escorts.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Is what common? Given a certain make, model, year, and problem description that a mechanic will know exactly what failed without opening the hood? Maybe, but not a foolproof means of diagnosis.

An engine siezes from a lack of oil or coolant, or both, when the pistons and cylinder walls overheat and start melting, etc. The mechanic pulled the head off the block and confirmed this?

If not have the car towed to a competent mechanic.

Reply to
sleepdog

It's the 1991-1996 witht he 1.9L engine where the dropped valve seat is a problem. Hopefully my Jasper rebuilt engine I have in mine has that defect cured.

As to if you want to put in a new engine or junk it depends upon how long you want to keep the car. Check junkyards and eBay to see if you can get a good used engine cheap enough.

Reply to
scott21230

Usually related to having overheated the engine, but not always.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

What is the typical mileage for this to occur? Can anything be done to prevent it, short of removing the head and reworking the seats? Does it happen to a particular seat more than the others? Thanks

Reply to
Fordfan

prevent it, short of removing the head and reworking the seats? Does it

happen to a particular seat more than the others? Thanks

Mine happenned at 72,000 miles. somewhere around 75,000 miles is common. I think it's valves for #4 cylinder. I image you could do a valve job with the fix and that would prevent the problem.

Reply to
scott21230

Like Fordfan said, it's the 1.9L engine that has this problem.I don't believe I've seen it happen on one with less than ~50K although I'm sure it could. As far as any cylinder being more vulnerable, in my experience it would be #1. I've also seen it happen on #2 and #3, but oddly, not #4. I've never heard the cause for dropped seats, but overheating makes sense. An older engine with a poorly maintained cooling system running hotter than normal over time could cause the steel seat to eventually loosen in the aluminum head. It can happen quickly. I had a customer drop her vehicle off for a brake job last summer. I was standing in the driveway when she pulled in and the car was running fine with no engine noise. When I went to pull it into the bay, it was rattling and running on about 2 cylinders, I had to push it in. Needless to say she was quite upset and was sure I did something to her car. She had it towed to another shop.It had dropped an exhaust seat on #1 and sent debris through the intake into #3 jamming the intake valve open.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I think you hit the nail on the head. Thanks!

Reply to
Wolf Dawg

I really wasn't sure if it was #1 or #4 cylinder valves, but definatelyt one of those two.

might know, but mostof the people there seem to have GT's that have the 1.8L engine so thatmight not help much.

Reply to
scott21230