99 Ford Tarus Steering Gear

I'm replacing the steering gear on a 1999 Ford Taurus V6-3.0L VIN 2 Flex Fuel w/ 15" wheels. I'm wanting to install a used part from one of the local salvage yards. The salvage yards have 5 different
15" wheel, Tag ID, SPR-LZ 15" wheel, Tag ID, SPR-MG, MH and MJ 15" wheel, Tag ID, SPR-RX 15" wheel, Tag ID, SPR-VH 15" wheel, Tag ID, SPR-SF
I checked w/ the local Orielly's and they have only one option for 15" wheels. The steering gear on the car now is tag SPR-SF. My question is are the different tags interchangable and if not why is it Orielly's only offers one choice?
crevan wrote:

Don't know what all the dealer choices mean, likely small incremental changes during production. The big question is: Why in Gods name are you replacing a R&P with a used one. Spend ~$200 and at least get a reman long rack for all the trouble it is to replace.
Wish I could, but I'm a college student barely scrapping by...shelling $40 for a used one is a lot easier that the $150 that Orielly's wants.
crevan wrote:

why are you wanting to replace it? Maybe its something else causing your problem that will be cheaper......
ShoeSaleman wrote:

Plus, i hope he changes the tie rod ends. And then a alignment is required. And if you go that far, how are the struts and the rest of the front end parts? I am curious on what the symptoms are.
Bob
-
The car has had a slow leak of power steering fluid for awhile. The other day too much fluid was added and since then it has been flowing steadily from the rack. When you add fluid it pours straight out onto the ground. I've checked the hoses and connections and there are no holes. Planned on replacing tire rods and getting car aligned...not too concerned about the rest of the front end, since I will be getting rid of the car in the near future.
I assume you understand that changing the rack out is a pretty big job - you need to drop the sub frame etc. It seems to me that it would be a real waste to do the job and find the rack from the breakers also leaked!