99 taurus coil spring failures

Driver side failed on my 99 SE cutting tire in half. Not too bad at 30mph but would have been a disaster at 65.
Seems there were "not enough failures" to require recall earlier, but
ANOTHER investigation has been opened by NHTSB. Dealer did NOT inform me of problem - thoguh I understand owners who ought them new WERE informed. extended warranty excluded front coil springs...why? Dealer said "it was a 'common' failure!!!
I would not drive a taurus/windstar until I put something other than ford springs on them. There are alsor eports of similar failures in contour, focus, and f-150. PRoblems with ford coil springs and corrosion date from atleast 1993. So 11 years later and they clearly have done NOTHING to fix the problem. The only fix that they have put forth (for the recalled 93's)is some guard so the spring does not contact tire "WHEN" (not if) it fractures.
The corroision where my spring broke was NOT visible externally, but was clearly rusted internally at the point where it broke.
Common on the Escort too. My '92 just had the 2 rear changed. These are the 4th I think. Not Ford Springs this time for sure. No corrosion visible - Just cheap springs I think.