99 Taurus Electronic Climate Control+Radio Intermittent Lockups

Every so often, the Radio/Electronic Climate control (integrated control panel-ICP) on my 99 Taurus 'locks up'. The air defaults to blower high, hot and defrost (a default for loss of vacuum), and the
panel is unresponsive (both radio and HVAC). Turning OFF the engine and restarting usually clears it.
It usually happens on a hot day when A/C is running, but has also happened a few times when just running VENT.
When I first noticed it several years ago, I thought maybe there was a loss of voltage to the ICP causing the lockup...and indeed I measured 10.5 V (engine off) going to it. I cleaned a few connections and got it up a volt or so. Problem went away for awhile
It started to happen the end of last summer, and has been common this year. I will once again be checking the voltages...and this time the grounds!
It's not a simple loss of vacuum...I've pulled the engine vacuum off; the vents go to defrost but the panel never notices.
There are also the Remote Climate Control Module and the Rear Control Unit (audio), which tie in to the ICP on a common data bus. This is why I'm reluctant to swap out the ICP without further info.
Alldata indicates I should be able to initiate a self-test by pressing OFF & FLOOR simultaneuosly, then AUTO within 2 seconds...no dice.
Suggestions????
Don
Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com
"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves...<smack-smack-smack-smack...>"
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:05:23 -0400, Don Byrer wrote:

IIRC this is a fault in the 'control module' and is a bit expensive to replace. It's been a while since I had anything to do with Fords, but I think this is the fix.
Try a junkyard, you may be able to get one reasonably.

Thanks...Was that the control panel itself...or the Remote Climate Control Module under the dash?
Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com
"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves...<smack-smack-smack-smack...>"
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:45:46 -0400, Don Byrer wrote:

The module under the dash.

Ground is OK on the Control panel (ICP)...14.3V when engine running.
Voltage at Remote Climate Control module is 10-11V. Moved the meter ground lead to the Cig ltr gnd and voltage went up to 14.3. It appears I have a bad ground on the RCC module. That shares a ground with the PATS module...and it's a DIFFERENT ground than the ICP uses. Further research/troubleshooting soon. I do have a good used ICP on order thru ebay. I can always resell it if I don't need it.
--DB Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com