'99 Taurus - Loud Noise/Vibration on cold start

I have a 1999 Taurus with about 110,000 miles on it. I live in the northeast US. For the last several months I have been getting a sound of a loud vibration in the engine of the car. The noise only occurs
when the car is first started and the engine is cold. Generally it will last for the first five minutes of use - when the car is put into reverse for the first time; drive for the first time, etc - then it goes away once the car is warmed up. It seems to be worse as the temperature drops and tends to be noticeable for a longer period of time the colder it is.
It only occurs with a cold start. So, it happens in the morning and at the end of my work day when I am leaving my job. If the car is warmed up and I go into the store for ten minutes, when the warm car is restarted, the noise does NOT happen. This noise does not seem to be affecting any other aspect of the car's operation. It drives, shifts, and accelerates fine. It is more of an annoyance than anything else and if I wasn't worried about it waking up my neighbors and my home owners association lodging a complaint, I might even ignore it.
Had it into my local Ford dealer last week and they suggested flushing the transmission fluid. That was done but the problem is still there. Today I brought it in again and they are now telling me they need more time to look at it and want me to bring it back next Saturday for them to continue their research. The only thing they could tell me is they have narrowed it down to the noise coming from either my ABS or inside the transmission.
Anyone familiar with a loud, cold start, noise that goes away after five minutes, so I can offer my Ford technician some guidance?
Thanks Phil
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Your "vibration" explanation is throwing me off a little - is it an actual vibration, loud enough to alert the neighbors, or a loud noise, w/o actual vibration?
Water pump, altrernator, or belt tensioner, maybe. Is this a 3.0 12V Vulcan OHV or a 3.0 24V Duratech OHC?
Rob
The best way to describe the noise is, kind of a groaning sound combine that with what I am calling a vibration that sounds like the sound of a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle (am I showing my age here?). It is a loud noise that Im sure my neighbors can hear. There isnt really a vibration per say, of the car shaking, but, you can feel a mild vibration in the gas pedal if the noise happens when you are accelerating.
The car is an SE station wagon with the 6 cylinder, 24 valve engine. I would have to check my files for more information.
Fords guess of either something with the ABS or something inside the transmission is based on the sound coming from that area, but they did not have two technicians available this morning to work in tandem to investigate.
With that amound of miles your Taurus has already served it's usefull life. Please consider purchasing a new more reliable car. Look into the new midsize replacement which is the Ford Fusion. If you want a wagon, consider the Ford Focus wagon. Or even the Malibu Maxx. (no flames please)
If it were me though and I had limited means I would keep the car because if something went wrong 95% of the time I'll know exactly what it is.
East-
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

A G3 Taurus w/ only 110K mi. is at only 1/2 or less of its useful service life.
Fix it & drive it. Don't throw a lot of money at it, though. Compare the repair figure to payments on a replacement vehicle.
Rob