99 Taurus needs converter?

My 99 Taurus 3.0 ohv conked out for a while when driving on a hot summer day. Sometimes it smells after I park it. Has the converter gone bad at 166k miles?

Reply to
Moses

I have the same problems. After a few miles on my bike on a hot day, I smell, too.

Perhaps if you describe the smell, that would help.

However, unless you have a check engine light on (assuming that your light works), it is unlikely to be the cat.

Which 3 litre engine is it? There is a Duratec engine and the Vulcan engine. Both were 3 litres. The Duratec engine has 24 valves and the Vulcan has 12 valves.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If the problem that caused it to conk out were the cat, I would expect that it were blocked up. A blocked up cat will also cause the engine to overheat, because the hot gases don't leave the engine fast enough.

Reply to
Jeff

Yes, I've had the blocked converter on another car. That occured after the engine began burning oil. That isn't a problem here but the car does have 166,000 miles..

Reply to
Moses