99 Taurus PW Steering problems.

I started hearing a PWRS noise that made me think the fluid level was low. I added a bit but it must have been to much or not needed to begin with because when I placed the cover fluid was forced out in a long small stream through the cover all over the engine. I brought it in for repair and the guy said it only needed cleaning. This worked for a few weeks and the noise returned. The pump was replaced but that only worked for a few weeks and now I am told it might be the steering column. In second conversation he mentioned the "rack" and something like over $300 in labor alone.

I really need some advice on what to do as I have now wasted $300 in towing and pump replacement. I am now thinking of taking it to a dealer but also am wondering if I can get a refund of my payment of the pump replacement. If I have this guy do the work that will actually fix the car I might have better luck talking money. If I go to a Ford dealer I am back to square one and might lose what I paid the first guy.

Thanks to anyone that can comment.

Regards Bob.

Reply to
Bob J.

the rack usually is the problem, they are or can be very expensive, but not that hard to put in with the proper tools, the labor guide pays real good for this job. however if it is just whinnig alittle bit and has no leaks then i would leave it alone fords have always had a whine to them after a few miles. ive been in the same boat with a taurus my wife had i am a certified mechanic and she gripped about it all the time but as long as there is no leaks short of replacing everything IT WILL NOT GO AWAY save your money for something more improtant

Reply to
IRONMDN35

Thanks for the reply.

My wife drives the car so I am always the last to know if there are noises that she can not eliminate by tuning up the Stereo. There was a definite problem before the pump was replaced which made it hard to turn. Everything was fine for about a week or so but now the noise is back so I guess I will have to drive it myself to see if there is a safety issue. The noise is more than a quiet whine but if that is all it is I can live with it. The repair guy gave me a price of $650 which seems like a bit much. He is afraid to do it and have the same results so I agreed to let him take it for a week or so to check it out. There are no leaks that I can see so far. Would you recommend I consult a dealer over this guy that has never done it before? Would there be any difference in the overall cost do you think?

Bob.

Reply to
Bob J.