99 Taurus Stalls when putting in gear

99 Taurus, 3.0L, ~78K miles.
It starts and runs just fine. Put it in gear, and it stalls. Dead. That's it. Put it back in park, starts up just fine.
I just replaced the speed sensor about 6 weeks ago, no other recent repairs. I'm good on maintenance on this vehicle.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Does it stall if you give it a little throttle? I'm guessing that you have a faulty IAC valve. It's what adjusts the idle, and it's a common failure.
CJB

Another indicator: engine RPM responds slowly to A/C clutch cycling, drops in RPM, takes a second to recover. Same with Power Steering at lock.
My THEORY is this indicates a sluggish motor as opposed to a sticky valve bobbin. In THAT case there's often hard starting.
you pay..DEAL with it!

Went to her work where it was dead and got more detail:
It would start and immediately die. You could restart it and give it gas to keep it running, but let off and it would die.
I called the tow truck. The tow driver got in, turned the key and it ran fine. Naturally. So I drove it home, stopped at the local AZ and picked up a fuel filter, an air filter and some injector cleaner.
I'll look into the IAC valve. Thanks.

Then it's NOT park related!!!?
You are in DAYTON!! You SHOULD BE using the local sales leader, Speedway from high volume stations, and if so, I guarantee the filter isnt plugged and the injectors dont need cleaning.
And that symptom doesnt match anything fixed by any of those.
It's 98% likely your IAC! Go to NAPA
you pay..DEAL with it!

Sorry about that...I posted my question based on her report that it stalled when she put it in gear, then went to her rescue (yeah, check my priorities... ;-0 ). It did stumble one time slightly on the way home.
Yes, I do generally get Speedway but on rare occasions I hit the Shell across from the new WallyWorld on 201 since it's right around the corner from home.
I figured since I've not changed the fuel filter since I've owned it for the past 40K miles I could just as well do it, and figured out I might as well do the air filter while I was at it.
I'll fetch an IAC in the next couple days.
Thanks again
GMach3 wrote:

I have to agree with others that the IAC is the likely cause, but did you check the replacement speed sensor and its cable connection?
The first time I test drove a Ford FWD, it stalled when shifted into gear, and the saleman instantly said, "That's normal," of course.
.