99 taurus transmission problem

I have a 6 cyc 99 taurus I have 85,xxx miles on my car. I've had it almost a year. Its starting to slip or won't go into next gear. When I put it into drive it seem like it jumped.
Does this mean I have a lemon and I will need to purchase another transmission for this car? Also the engine light starting to come on .. but I schedule to have valve replacement with it.. Now I have the transmission problem..