99 Windstar CkEngine P0171

I got this code today
Below is what I found.......any suggestions?
P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel
tables reach a rich calibrated limit. For lean and rich DTCs: Fuel system Excessive fuel pressure. Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors. Leaking fuel pressure regulator. Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel. Vapor recovery system. Induction system: Air leaks after the MAF. Vacuum Leaks. PCV system. Improperly seated engine oil dipstick. EGR system: Leaking gasket. Stuck EGR valve. Leaking diaphragm or EVR. Base Engine: Oil overfill. Cam timing. Cylinder compression. Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss. A SHRTFT-1,2 PID value between -25% to +35% and a LONGFT-1,2 PID value between -35% to +35% is acceptable. Reading beyond these values indicate a failure.
Mbt6 opined in

What else is happening? When did the light come on.. exactly
Any spark knock (ping)?
Clean the MAF to start with

Lucky You

Thats why those bastards charge a diagnostic fee at your dealer ship / shop. You can have your codes pulled at pep boys for free but then what ????? It is not that simple, is it..... here we go
Possible a vacuum leak at your upper intake, there are updated gaskets and bolts between the lower and upper intake. Spray some brake cleaner on where the upper and lower intake meet and look if the rpm's go up or down Also check if the tube didnt come out of the rubber hose between the airbox and trottle body. There is also a pcm update that takes care of some of he p0171/072/073/0174 problems. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter, if ever ??? check fuel pressure check if the vacuum line om the fuel regulator is not leaking vacuum on the intake side, if you dont change your airfilter on time it will suck too much oil residu thru the pcv in to the intake and all the rubber hose connections on the intake will start to leak vacuum.
or 1 of the other things you mentioned
:-)) good luck
johan

The check engine light came on 11/18 (two days ago). I have not noticed any performance change at all. Idle is fine, acceleration is fine, cruise is fine. AutoZone did the test for me and sold me a Bosch Oxegen Sensor (13117), but the guy didn't sound convinced. It's still in the box for now.

Leave it in there
Johan