99 windstar key have chip?

got a 99 windstar with the keyless entry, went to get a copy of the mechanical key and the guy suspected the key had a chip in it. Is there a way to verify and if so how do you get spares?

Yes, your Windstar has a PATS (transponder) Key. Go to Ebay. A blank key is about $10 plus shipping. You can have it cut at a local hardware store and program it to the car per the instructions in your owner's guide.
Ed
thanks, so I need a "1999-2000 Ford Windstar Transponder PATS Key Blank" which there's tons of on ebay.
found a problem though "IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE WORKING KEY THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE THIS KEY PROGRAMED BY THE DEALERSHIP OR A LOCKSMITH BEFORE YOU CAN PROGRAM MORE KEYS YOURSELF. "
is this true? reason I need another is I've lost a set of keys so I only have one, I programmed a ebay keyless remote with no problems using the red button and the manual before.
Max Power wrote:

If you have PATS, you require TWO programmed keys to DIY. As far as the keyless remote goes, it has nothing to do with programming the PATS ignition keys.

man, loosing my second set of keys sounds like its going to cost a little bit.
Max Power wrote:

Yep. To keep it from happening again, have 2 new keys made.
Tom Adkins wrote:

what a stupid feature.
Picasso wrote:

Not really. The reason for it is to make it more difficult for a car thief to make a key for your car, or an unscrupulous valet, detailer, mechanic, etc to make a key and steal your car later. Anyone with 2 keys is very likely the owner. If it was easy for you, it would be easier for a car thief. Being stuck with only 1 key is a personal responsibility matter with the owner. The details of the PATS system are outlined in the Owners Manual.

Oh yes, windstars are a hot item in the car theft world.
Picasso wrote:

Actually they aren't. Hmmmm, I wonder why....

I saw a list recently that had the dodge caravan pretty high, surprised to see so many minivans being stollen

What do you think the Mexican smugglers like to use to transport illegal's in?