99 Windstar power steering rack & pinion

I just solve one problem and boom... another one to solve. Power steering goes out and I look under van and there is fluid coming out of the boot on
the drivers side shaft from the power steering rack and pinion unit. Do I have to change the whole power steering unit (279&) plus lots of hard filthy under car work? Or is there suppossed to be power steering fluid inside the boot and I just have to replace the boot? I'm inclined to think there shouldn't be power steering fluid inside the boot but there is a connector tube from one boot to another on the top side.

Sorry.. that tube from one side to the other is for air, to avoid ballooning either boot. should be no fluid in boot
Thanks for the reply. Guess I crawl under the car and start with the tire rod/subframe/stabilizer bar dissassembly! I guess it'll give me a chance to replace the VSS that I couldn't get access to before. I'll still have transmission problems to solve after all this!!