99 Winstar 3.8

have pinging problem. 80k miles. tune up done including wires. no vacuum leaks. check engine came on once. P0174 stored, bank 2 lean. also having problem starting. starts stalls 2-3 x's. sound like fuel pump? anyone
experience this before? put scanner on it did not reveal anything. o2's seem to be working. tps .94 at closed throttle. moved from NJ to VA don't think the mountains are high enough to cause pinging. any help would be appreciated.
i think everyones 99 and 00's get the lean bank, http://www.leckemby.net/windstar/windstar01.html

unplug your maf and drive it around, if it runs better, clean the maf.
I am working on a 99 Windstar that keeps giving codes 171 and 174 (banks 1&2 Lean). I've checked out all the components on the engine. I found the Idle Air Control Solenoid on the top of the engine sticking (carbon buildup) and cleaned this and the rough idle and stalling was cured. Also found the arms not linked up on the Idle Manifold Runner Control. Drove better but the 171 & 174 codes have returned. I'm thinking maybe dirty fuel injectors but will take a tank of gas with cleaner and a couple hundred miles to see if that cures 171 & 174. I'm thinking maybe the injectors aren't able to squirt enough gas in and hense its lean.
mmmgall wrote:

Leaking intake gasket(s). Use carb cleaner / GumOut to find the leaks(s).
Rob
Thanks Rob. I have had the upper plenum off and have been looking for manifold leaks. Will probably use an unlit propane torch as it should be less messy than carb cleaner.