A/C Only works on HIGH FAN setting?

200-2002 era Taurus. The AC has like 4 settings, low until high...Recently it now only works on the highest setting, tring lower fan speeds just stop the air from coming out.

Any clues on where to look first to get an idea what to fix or replace?

p.s. I'm tryin' to DIY this and not spend like $1,000 if possible

thanks god bless america

Reply to
Pedro Sanchez IV

I think I forgot to mention it's a 2002 year automobile, thanks again

Reply to
Pedro Sanchez IV

Bad blower motor resistor pack. I haven't replaced one on a Taurus, but the few I have replaced haven't been expensive at all.

Reply to
Tim J.

So it's fairly easy for a layman to replace?

Reply to
Pedro Sanchez IV

Reply to
Joe3301955

I've replaced one on an Isuzu pickup that was a piece of cake, a Crown Vic that was a moderate pain, and an Escort that left me sore for three days. If I were to have to do it again, I'd pay someone else to do it.

Reply to
Tim J.

ok, thanks for infoi

thanks for fast accurate info.

Reply to
Pedro Sanchez IV

I would check to see if there is a recall on this. I had a recall on my blower resister on a Contour. The reason why Ford might make a recall is that this is a safety issue.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Is the air coming out of all vents, or just the defrost ones?

Could the problem be the climate control vacuum pump?

Reply to
Desertphile

Everything works but only at the HIGH blowing setting.

Reply to
Pedro Sanchez IV

Everything works but only at the HIGH blowing setting.

Reply to
Pedro Sanchez IV

Can't say for sure in your exact car but, in all the Fords I have worked with, the blower high speed circuit does not pass thru the resistor block. It will usually run on high if nothing else. It is likely that you have either a bad resistor or a bad control switch. The resistor is much cheaper and easier to replace. Also some of those circuits use a fuse on the lower speeds while running the high speed thru a relay. The fuse is occasionally replaced with and auto resetting thermal circuit breaker.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut