A/C Only works on HIGH FAN setting?

200-2002 era Taurus. The AC has like 4 settings, low until high...Recently it now only works on the highest setting, tring lower fan speeds just stop the air from coming out.
Any clues on where to look first to get an idea what to fix or replace?
p.s. I'm tryin' to DIY this and not spend like $1,000 if possible
thanks god bless america
I think I forgot to mention it's a 2002 year automobile, thanks again
On The Date of Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:29:37 -0400, Pedro Sanchez IV

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:29:37 -0400, Pedro Sanchez IV

Bad blower motor resistor pack. I haven't replaced one on a Taurus, but the few I have replaced haven't been expensive at all.
On The Date of Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:03:38 -0400, Tim J.

So it's fairly easy for a layman to replace?
On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:59:55 -0400, Pedro Sanchez IV

I've replaced one on an Isuzu pickup that was a piece of cake, a Crown Vic that was a moderate pain, and an Escort that left me sore for three days. If I were to have to do it again, I'd pay someone else to do it.
ok, thanks for infoi
On The Date of Sat, 29 Aug 2009 23:15:53 -0400, Tim J.

thanks for fast accurate info.
Yea, it is the resistors. On the 2003 Taurus, Ford makes a retrofit kit "rain hat" for the car. In other words if the windshield molding outside the car warps on the passenger side, rain water gets on the resistors and the blower motor. The retrofit kit drains the water differently.

I would check to see if there is a recall on this. I had a recall on my blower resister on a Contour. The reason why Ford might make a recall is that this is a safety issue.
Jeff
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:18:09 -0700 (PDT), Jeff

Is the air coming out of all vents, or just the defrost ones?

Could the problem be the climate control vacuum pump?
--
http://desertphile.org
On The Date of Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:37:03 -0600, Desertphile

Everything works but only at the HIGH blowing setting.
On The Date of Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:18:09 -0700 (PDT), Jeff

Everything works but only at the HIGH blowing setting.
On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 15:03:40 -0400, Pedro Sanchez IV

Can't say for sure in your exact car but, in all the Fords I have worked with, the blower high speed circuit does not pass thru the resistor block. It will usually run on high if nothing else. It is likely that you have either a bad resistor or a bad control switch. The resistor is much cheaper and easier to replace. Also some of those circuits use a fuse on the lower speeds while running the high speed thru a relay. The fuse is occasionally replaced with and auto resetting thermal circuit breaker.
Lugnut