A funny thing happened to my Ranger!

The other day after stopping my 3.0 -manual 5speed Ranger, I was not able to shift it back into any gear with the clutch depressed! I had it towed, to my mechanic for him to check it out in the morning. He said, that he had the same problem in the morning. He started to fool with it, and it seemed to "pop" into gear and was back to normal again. He drove it around for a while, to try to duplicate the problem again but was unable to???? So He was not able to diagnose the problem. This is my wife's car, and I am now concerned, that this might happen to her at an inopportune moment! Does anyone have any idea what might have happened or what could??

Thank you for your anticipated response.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

My best guess would be that the clutch was not fully disengaging, which would make resistance when trying to put it in gear. If it's a hydraulic clutch it may need to be bled, or may have a leaky cylinder (if it happens again and it's hydraulic, try pumping the clutch as you would the brake pedal when you have little-no pressure). If it's a cable clutch it may need adjustment. My other thought would be a loose shifter, which simply was not engaging the gears properly or was binding up.

In any case, teach your wife to shift without the clutch, that way when things break she will be albe to keep on truckin' and will have a much lesser chance of being stranded. I once drove my '86 Olds Calais Supreme around for a week with a non-functional hydraulic clutch.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle