a little off for some groups: 1989 Mazda 626 clacking from top of engine

And here's one for you:

Hachiroku

am i missing something? how does vintage poster art /not/ make your over-paying for wear-increasing solvents proof of gullibility?

Reply to
jim beam

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Replacing a set of lifters without a new camshaft is considered an improper repair, *if* you're going by the book, but with today's synthetic oils you can probably get away with it. I would use a full synthetic oil and change the oil/filter at 1000-miles after the repair. The next oil/filter change would be at 3000-miles, at which time I would return to the normal oil change interval.

Reply to
Fordfan

I agree. Once a lifter becomes noisy, it's time to bite the bullet and replace 'em all.

Regarding "fitting to the cam," well that's another issue nowadays since modern motor oils tend not to support good lubrication of direct contact engine parts (also due to EPA restrictions). So far, diesel rated lubricants still have the additives to prevent wear on direct contact engine components.

Roller lifters available for vintage cars including Honda anyone?

JT

(Who's manual calls for motor oil for the tranny which is also a no-no these days...)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I just thought you'd like the association with what looks like an Atomic Bomb...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I put what I had left of a Qt of MMO in the Mazda...after a 20 minute drive the clacking was gone. Sure beats ripping the Valve Cover off, taking out the rocker shafts and replacing the HLA's!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I suspect it's a temporary fix, that wear will cause the problem to return. Sometimes a few months' reprieve is a very useful thing. If you are far from home on vacation or in the middle of rotten temperatures it is mighty attractive.

I don't know how Marvel Mystery Oil changes the operation of oil for bearings and such though.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Hmmm...excuse me if I seem a bit ignorant here. What this car has is Hydraulic Lash Adjusters (HLAs). It is at the end of the rocker and pushes the shims over the valves down to open the valves. (Um, what's the difference between this and a hydraulic lifter...?)

You can replace them without removing the rocker shafts, but I have seen a couple write ups that say they don't go bad for no reason, and the reason is usually that the holes that feed the oil to the HLAs are plugged. So, it is possible to clean the HLAs and the holes feeding them oil.

I guess I'll investigate when I park the Mazda and put the Supra on the road...!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Me either, but I've had a couple of high mileage engines using Castrol and MMO mixed.

As long as it lasts until I get the Supra on the road and the Mazda parked, I'll open the valve cover and have a look. It doesn't look all that tough.

I have heard of this (MMO or ATF) solving the problem long term, though.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I never heard anything negative about MMO in the forty-five years that I've been "tinkering" with cars. Makes a hell of an "oil can" squirter lubricant too..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

If a lifter begins to make noise, two possibilities are lack of oil pressure (unlikely) or excessive wear of the component itself (likely)

Plan on replacing 'em all.

JT

(Who owns nothing with hydraulic lifters!)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

It's not really a 'lifter', as I think I understand the term.

The car has an OHC, 3 valves per cylinder. They are actuated by rockers, and at the end of each rocker is an HLA (Hydraulic Lash Adjuster). I guess it's supposed to eliminate the need to adjust the valves by expanding or 'deflating' with oil to take up the slack. It seems they collect gunk, as do the holes providing the oil.

It seems the MMO added to the oil has taken care of this for now. They look fairly easy to replace. Once it comes off the road for the summer.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Sounds like the same operation as a hydraulic lifter, but located on the other end of the rocker arm. Lifters deflate in pretty much the same way, but I don't know if it is usually that they stick "down" or if they leak too badly to work.

Your plan to tackle it when more convenient sounds good to me. At least a collapsed HLA (almost wrote "lifter") won't strand you anywhere.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Marvel Mystery Oil

Manufacturer Name THE MARVEL OIL COMPANY, INC Street 5655 W 73RD STREET City CHICAGO State IL Country US Zip Code 60638 Emergency Phone 708-563-3766 Information Phone 708-563-3766

Ingredient # 01 Ingredient Name BENZENE, 1,2-DICHLORO- CAS Number 95501 Percent 0 Ingredient # 02 Ingredient Name MINERAL SPIRITS CAS Number 8052413 Percent 0 Ingredient # 03 Ingredient Name NAPTHENIC HYDROCARBONS CAS Number 64742525 Percent 0

I got the above info from here:

I. Care

Interesting...BENZENE?!?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Actually the third option is by FAR the most common - varnish buildup in the lifter making the plunger stick in the collapsed position or causing the check to stick open. The very VAST majority of lifter problems, if caught early, can be PERMANENTLY solved by "medication", using products like MMO, Rislone, BG Tune-up, or even ATF or kerosene (not recommended). They can be prevented by proper oil change intervals, regardless what the large number of nay-sayers on this list may say.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

According to Schlumberger: A type of organic compound of carbon and hydrogen that contains one or more saturated cyclic (ring) structures, or contains such structures as a major portion of the molecule. The general formula is CnH2n. Naphthenic compounds are sometimes called naphthenes, cycloparaffins or hydrogenated benzenes. Naphtha is a refined petroleum fraction that contains a high percentage of these types of hydrocarbons.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

BENZENE, 1,2-DICHLORO - a chlorinated hydrocarbon - very strong "detergent" type solvent and parts cleaner.

Then again, the Benzene family is very extensive too, like Parafin and Naphtha.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

good on you! i have a really strong opinion on anything related to oil sales and the total lack of labeling thereof. it's all to deceive the consumer. manufacturers all know what their competition is using - they have labs. consumers don't, and this information vacuum is the void into which garbage is sold. msds info like you've dug up /is/ available, but it's not exactly front and center, and even then, there's get-outs for "proprietary" contents. the whole machine is a scam.

i say:

  1. label all products, just like food and shampoo.

and while we're at it:

  1. make publication of the calorie content of gasoline mandatory. alcohol content is mandatory on beverages, calorie content is published for natural gas. same principles should apply to gasoline.
Reply to
jim beam