About Time: 4.4L Diesel

If all this is true, its about time ford brings a diesel to north america.

Ford's sat on their arse for 15 years, its about time they "just do something" and stick themselves out there. This is finally something Toyota may need to catch up to...

And if those Ford Raptor plans are true, one more iron in the fire for ford.

Reply to
Picasso

Have you seen diesel fuel prices lately? Around here, they are nearly a full $1 over gas.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Yes but the way I figure it is that I have an Aerostar with a 4 banger that gets 18 to 20 mpg. At $3.00 a gallon I get just under 7 miles a dollor.At that rate if I get better than 27 mpg with a diesel ,I am ahead of the game.A 4.4l Diesel I would think would get much better than that.

Reply to
Harry De Witt

But if diesel is at $4.20/gallon (like it is around here), you're only getting 6.4 mp$. Other than the load-carrying capacity, you're still better off with the 4-banger.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

ON AVERAGE, have you priced repair and maintenance of a diesel verses a gas engine?

Reply to
Kruse

I wouldn't be counting chickens that haven't hatched yet... Diesel fuel mileage isn't all that great these days as the engines have a lot of emissions controls of their own to contend with. The next round of clean air requirements is slated to happen for the 2010 model year..

Manufacturers are experimenting with urea injection... This is injected into the exhaust system and, in conjunction with SCR catalyst (selective catalytic reduction) may help to gain back some of that lost power... but there will still be smoke and exhaust opacity to contend with.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yes I saw that urea injection mentioned, i thought it was purely an emissions thing? The article mentioned it would be filled in the current fill neck area once per oil change.

So is it emissions or fuel efficiency?

I particularly liked the statement on the poster (an inside ford poster?) that stated one of the advantages of the urea is: "-stocked at dealerships" "-gets customers returning to the dealership"

Reply to
Picasso

Don't forget that the diesel engine option will usually be an expensive option.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Ford has had that V6 diesel in the parts bin for at least four years. Navistar (International) built a Ford specific engine plant to build it and the Power Stroke V8, but Ford waited until the new cleaner burning diesel fuel was available county wide to offer the six. VW will be bringing in several of its diesel cars to the US as well now, for the same reason. The problem is the cleaner burning diesel cast more to produce and is thus now more expensive than gasoline but the diesel will get better fuel mileage to compensate.

The only time we well ever see sensible fuel price again is when the feds get off their stupid asses and start drilling the vast oil reserves we have off our shores and in Alaska. Better start writing to your Senators and Congressmen TODAY, WBMA

Reply to
Mike hunt

gallon price they want for diesel, and you will fing

You must be talking about all members of congress.

Reply to
Shawn

(International) built a Ford specific engine plant

burning diesel fuel was available county wide to offer

now, for the same reason. The problem is the

than gasoline but the diesel will get better fuel

off their stupid asses and start drilling the vast

your Senators and Congressmen TODAY, WBMA

Those political bastards have too much oil stock shares to even think about regulation.

Reply to
Shawn

The amount of urea used would actually depend on how the motor was driven.... Light duty use with low combustion temps would hardly any at all... "spirited" driving or heavy loads would increase the amount of ammonia injected into the exhaust.

Yes... it is entirely an emissions thing. However, keeping combustion temps low is the current way of eliminating oxides of nitrogen.... With urea injection and the SRC, they can allow the formation of NOx and then deal with it in the exhaust aftertreatments.

Of course there will still be smoke and particulate emissions to contend with.

Reply to
Jim Warman

You're thinking of the 4.5 V-6 diesel which is currently offered in the LCF Ford trucks. It was rumoured that this engine was going to appear in the F150 (some F150s were even built with provisions for a "wait to start" lamp).

The 4.4, however, is a V-8 and is currently fitted in Land Rovers. I assume it is going to find some changes to it's operating systems to find EPAs blessing in the comming years.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Is that you Jimmy Carter? Remember when you tried that we could not get any gas at any price. LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

No, I was referring to the Navistar V6 Diesel that is coming on line

Reply to
Mike hunt

Who makes the 2.5 & 3.0L diesel in the thailand rangers?

Too bad this model wouldn't make it here, I may have more respect for the ranger ;P

Reply to
Picasso

gas at any price. LOL

Navistar (International) built a Ford specific engine

cleaner burning diesel fuel was available county wide

US as well now, for the same reason. The problem

expensive than gasoline but the diesel will get better

get off their stupid asses and start drilling the vast

your Senators and Congressmen TODAY, WBMA

I still remember those long lines leading up to the filling stations in the early '70s.

Reply to
Shawn

get any gas at any price. LOL

Navistar (International) built a Ford specific engine

new cleaner burning diesel fuel was available county wide

to the US as well now, for the same reason. The problem

more expensive than gasoline but the diesel will get better

feds get off their stupid asses and start drilling the vast

writing to your Senators and Congressmen TODAY, WBMA

The problem isn't the supply of crude. Reserves today are greater than in the seventies. It's refining capacity. I don't believe there has been a refinery built in North America since the late sixties or early seventies. It's the NIMBY thing.

Reply to
Richard

No, it's mostly Crocodile Tears - the owners of the existing refineries want the competition restricted, they don't propose any of their own and stop the construction of other new refineries to control the inventories of refined products.

Oil refineries buy crude oil low and sell refined products high, and the difference is called the "Crack Spread". Part of that goes to cover costs, the rest is pure profit - go look at any oil companies quarterly reports and stock prices.

NIMBY protests against new refineries that look "Grass Roots" can turn out to be "Astroturf" if the protests are bought and paid for by another oil company.

The oil companies manage to keep expanding their existing old refineries just enough to ALMOST keep up with market demand, when they can keep the reserves of refined product very short that pushes the market prices as high as they can.

Shell tried to close down their former Martinez CA refinery because "it was old and technologically handicapped and way too dirty to operate", and it "can only refine heavy crude into industrial products that we can make cleaner and cheaper elsewhere" - but they failed to mention in their filings that it also conveniently enough makes ~8% of the Diesel used in California. That would have really jacked up the Diesel Fuel market...

The feds forced them to keep it operating, and it was sold as a running refinery to Flying J Truck Stops - for whom it is still happily chugging away making diesel.

And when the pump prices need an extra boost, someone leaves a valve cracked and drops a lit match, and "Oops!" they have a refinery fire. Or they shutdown a week for upgrades and changing from Winter to Summer Blend. The 'panic in the wholesale market' from these short shutdowns is always good for a 10-cent kick in pump prices.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman