About Time: 4.4L Diesel

Page 1 of 2
http://www.leftlanenews.com/leaked-fords-upcoming-44l-diesel-v8.html
If all this is true, its about time ford brings a diesel to north america.
Ford's sat on their arse for 15 years, its about time they "just do
something" and stick themselves out there. This is finally something Toyota may need to catch up to...
And if those Ford Raptor plans are true, one more iron in the fire for ford.
says...

Have you seen diesel fuel prices lately? Around here, they are nearly a full $1 over gas.

Yes but the way I figure it is that I have an Aerostar with a 4 banger that gets 18 to 20 mpg. At $3.00 a gallon I get just under 7 miles a dollor.At that rate if I get better than 27 mpg with a diesel ,I am ahead of the game.A 4.4l Diesel I would think would get much better than that.

But if diesel is at $4.20/gallon (like it is around here), you're only getting 6.4 mp$. Other than the load-carrying capacity, you're still better off with the 4-banger.
SC Tom
add to that that the money hungry oil bastards have not reached the $10 per gallon price they want for diesel, and you will fing no one will buy the small diesel trucks anyway, so ford will never make them.

You must be talking about all members of congress.

ON AVERAGE, have you priced repair and maintenance of a diesel verses a gas engine?
I wouldn't be counting chickens that haven't hatched yet... Diesel fuel mileage isn't all that great these days as the engines have a lot of emissions controls of their own to contend with. The next round of clean air requirements is slated to happen for the 2010 model year..
Manufacturers are experimenting with urea injection... This is injected into the exhaust system and, in conjunction with SCR catalyst (selective catalytic reduction) may help to gain back some of that lost power... but there will still be smoke and exhaust opacity to contend with.

Jim Warman wrote:

Yes I saw that urea injection mentioned, i thought it was purely an emissions thing? The article mentioned it would be filled in the current fill neck area once per oil change.
So is it emissions or fuel efficiency?
I particularly liked the statement on the poster (an inside ford poster?) that stated one of the advantages of the urea is: "-stocked at dealerships" "-gets customers returning to the dealership"
The amount of urea used would actually depend on how the motor was driven.... Light duty use with low combustion temps would hardly any at all... "spirited" driving or heavy loads would increase the amount of ammonia injected into the exhaust.
Yes... it is entirely an emissions thing. However, keeping combustion temps low is the current way of eliminating oxides of nitrogen.... With urea injection and the SRC, they can allow the formation of NOx and then deal with it in the exhaust aftertreatments.
Of course there will still be smoke and particulate emissions to contend with.
One of the other benefits of diesel is that it isn't really classified as an "aromatic" and currently doesn't require an evaporative emissions system.

@comcast.net says...

Don't forget that the diesel engine option will usually be an expensive option.
Ford has had that V6 diesel in the parts bin for at least four years. Navistar (International) built a Ford specific engine plant to build it and the Power Stroke V8, but Ford waited until the new cleaner burning diesel fuel was available county wide to offer the six. VW will be bringing in several of its diesel cars to the US as well now, for the same reason. The problem is the cleaner burning diesel cast more to produce and is thus now more expensive than gasoline but the diesel will get better fuel mileage to compensate.
The only time we well ever see sensible fuel price again is when the feds get off their stupid asses and start drilling the vast oil reserves we have off our shores and in Alaska. Better start writing to your Senators and Congressmen TODAY, WBMA

Those political bastards have too much oil stock shares to even think about regulation.
Is that you Jimmy Carter? Remember when you tried that we could not get any gas at any price. LOL

I still remember those long lines leading up to the filling stations in the early '70s.

Navistar (International) built a Ford specific engine

new cleaner burning diesel fuel was available county wide

to the US as well now, for the same reason. The problem

more expensive than gasoline but the diesel will get better

feds get off their stupid asses and start drilling the vast

writing to your Senators and Congressmen TODAY, WBMA

about
the early '70s.

The problem isn't the supply of crude. Reserves today are greater than in the seventies. It's refining capacity. I don't believe there has been a refinery built in North America since the late sixties or early seventies. It's the NIMBY thing.

No, it's mostly Crocodile Tears - the owners of the existing refineries want the competition restricted, they don't propose any of their own and stop the construction of other new refineries to control the inventories of refined products.
Oil refineries buy crude oil low and sell refined products high, and the difference is called the "Crack Spread". Part of that goes to cover costs, the rest is pure profit - go look at any oil companies quarterly reports and stock prices.
NIMBY protests against new refineries that look "Grass Roots" can turn out to be "Astroturf" if the protests are bought and paid for by another oil company.
The oil companies manage to keep expanding their existing old refineries just enough to ALMOST keep up with market demand, when they can keep the reserves of refined product very short that pushes the market prices as high as they can.
Shell tried to close down their former Martinez CA refinery because "it was old and technologically handicapped and way too dirty to operate", and it "can only refine heavy crude into industrial products that we can make cleaner and cheaper elsewhere" - but they failed to mention in their filings that it also conveniently enough makes ~8% of the Diesel used in California. That would have really jacked up the Diesel Fuel market...
The feds forced them to keep it operating, and it was sold as a running refinery to Flying J Truck Stops - for whom it is still happily chugging away making diesel.
And when the pump prices need an extra boost, someone leaves a valve cracked and drops a lit match, and "Oops!" they have a refinery fire. Or they shutdown a week for upgrades and changing from Winter to Summer Blend. The 'panic in the wholesale market' from these short shutdowns is always good for a 10-cent kick in pump prices.
--<< Bruce >>--
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

There is a new Refinery going through the hoops right now in Saint John New Brunswick. Irving Oil Ltd. already has one, they are proposing building a bigger one across the street.
That may be your opinion, but you are a bit off if that is what you believe. Oil companies are indeed building new refineries, but they are building them where they can be built at a reasonable cost and that is outside the US. It is far less expensive to build off shore and simply import the refined products, all with out running afoul of or over restrictive environmental regulations.
As too who makes the most on every gallon of the fuel you buy at the pump? That would be your state government at an average of around thirty seven cents. Who come next to pick you pocket? The federal government, at eighteen and half cents and 24c on diesel fuel. THEN comes the oil company, that had to invest BILLIONS to get the crude oil to make the gasoline, at around 16c. Lastly the sap that owns the station, he gets what he got thirty years ago, around seven cents. About half of what he gets on a pack of gun, but still far less than the 30c he earns on a bottle of water, IF he is lucky enough to get you to come inside

That is one of the problems, but the real problem in current environmental laws that have made it almost if not impossible to build new refiners, storage or transporting facilities in the US. Our Senators and Congressmen are too afraid of the "Environuts" to do what is right for the country.
We are ALL environmentalist, in that we do not what to poop where we eat, today unfortunately the Environuts are taking over the county the folks that do not want us to "eat" so we do not have to deal with the "poop."
The good Lord made crude oil and he made it dirty. We should have reasonable laws that makes one clean it up if we spill some, but should not have laws that virtually make it unusable