ABS

Does anyone know if the ABS can be shut down by pulling a fuse. I believe my chattering brakes happen when I apply a fair amount of pressure to the
brakes above about 30 MPH. This problem started right after I had someone do a brake job (all 4 wheels). Thank you
Hank B wrote:

If the fuse doesn't control anything else, it will.
Altough I don't like ABS myself, why unplug it instead of going back to the shop where the brakes were done?
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

El If I'm right I will then have an advantage over the shop if they want to hand me another bill.
If you don't trust the shop, why did you go there?
If the concern wasn't evident before the repair, it shouldn't be there after the repair..... much is going to hinge on what the RO that you signed stated as a concern....
At the same time, you guys in the states do have a hard time with charlatans.... Guys with a $99 Sears tool kit can open a shop and call themselves automotive techs with no knowledge, no experience and no scruples.
FWIW, I have seen a few vehicles where the finish on the rotors after machining has resulted in an un-nerving noise and feel.... possibly akin to the chatter you are feeling. These sorts of concerns I usually associate with poor shops...... especially since any brake repair deserves an extensive road test to both seat in the new friction surfaces and to ensure that nothing has been overlooked....
Hank B wrote:

Try seating or "breaking in" the brakes. See: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

It is a mistake to disable you ABS unless you are just doing it temporarily for diagnostic purposes. Many ABS systems depend upon the ABS to provide front/rear brake proportioning. With the ABS disabled, you are more likely to lock the rear brakes and that can be a really bad thing.
You did not mention what sort of car you have. It is unlikely that the ABS would be the cause of your concern unless one brake is locking prematurely. It seems more likely that the shop damaged a rotor by unnecessarily/improperly turning then, or that the brakes were not properly bedded in after the new pads were installed. If you do a hard stop with "green" brake pads, it is possible to transfer lining material to the rotors and this will result in chattering of a sort.
Ed