AC noise in 89 Taurus

Last night the AC in my 89 Taurus was making an awful squealing/grinding noise; however this morning everything seems to working fine. Is this something I should worry about?
Thanks!
Poor Ole Bob

====was the noise inside or under the hood?
Thanks for the quick response; it was under the hood and it stopped when I turned the AC off...

I'd guess ac compressor hub clutch of ac compressor bearing...bearing doesn't go bad that often unless the hulk is your mechanic and he's been tightening the belts...but if it's only there hot or cold when the ac is on...it's probably either compressor, compressor clutch, or heaven forbid the entire compressor...be careful now...it's just as much work to r&r compressor and replace just the clutch as it is to r&r compressor and recharge system.....and sometimes rebuilt compressors come without clutch hub so they'd just swap compressor, put old clutch hub on and you'd have a new compressor old clutch hub and still have the noise...take it to a reputable and I stress reputable air conditioning shop in your local area and pay for the diagnosis...most reputable shops will apply the diagnostic charge to repair if you let them do repair...good luck and happy motoring...

squealing/grinding
Thank you Patrick

this
Also, I don't know if this makes any difference, but I noticed the noise also comes from under the dash a bit - sort of like a buzzing - maybe a relay?
Thanks Everyone,
Poor Ole Bob

For all who are breathlessly following this thread, I took the car to Pep Boys and they said it was overcharged w/ freon - seems to working now after they fixed it.