accidentally added 1 quart type F to a trans requiring mercon 5

Hi, Last week I had the transmission fluid changed in my 2001 Windstar at a quickie lube place. Like a dummy I didn't check to sure that the level was correct. I traveled to a remote area and the transmission started slipping. There was no fluid on the stick and all I could find at the convenience store was type F of which I added one quart. I later found an auto parts store and bought 2 more quarts of mercon 5 which I also added. I am thinking that only one quart is not going to make much difference, but I'd like to hear comments from someone better informed on the subject than I am. Thanks

Reply to
lew

"lew" wrote in news:1145233576.171052.143350 @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

your fine. that amount will not damage anything. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Just out of curiousity, how did you check the level on the dipstick? With the engine running or engine off? The reason I ask is because if you checked it with the engine shut off, it would not read any fluid on the dipstick. The correct procedure for almost any vehicle (check the manual just in case I may be wrong) is to check the fluid with the engine running and up to operating temperature, obviously on a level surface.

BTW, one quart should not hurt anything.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

You got it backwards Sharky, not running, the level reads HIGH, not LOW.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Will read higher when not running. Reason for those why always need to know WHY: You are reading the reservoir level. Running fills the operating system.

"Sharky" wrote:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I checked it in park on level ground with the engine running. It was warmed up too thanks

Reply to
lew

Flush the tranny! I did the same in a GM some years ago and lost the torque converter lockup... Do yourself a favor, trannys are not cheap... 75$ for a flush is cheap and it will be good for the tranny...

Gerald

Reply to
gerald2003r

========= ========= Save yer QuickieLubeIt receipt, call yer lawyer and sue for a new tranny.

unless yer.... lying, stupid, naive, or trolling.

then.... never...mind.

~:~ MarshMonster ~has to go buy some razor blades, the doctor left a probe in his chest~

Reply to
MarshMonster