Acetone test complete.

15MPG without acetone.
14.3 with
probably didn't do anything bad or good is my guess
I'm trying 4 oz in 15 gallons this time.....

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 03:57:19 GMT, "Shoe Salesman"

I tried it in three vehicles, all of which I have a very good feel for gas mileage. Two of them (89 S-10 4.3L and 92 Explorer 4.0L) seemed to lose about 1 to 2 mpg and the other one (99 Mustang 4.6L) seemed to get the same as always. I used about 2 oz per 10 gal of gas.

Well I have finally had an opportunity to gain a large sampling of data, via a drive to Florida, with stops in the Carolinas and here's what I found:
I've just gone through my mileage log and calculated the MPG for various legs of the trip.
The second two legs have the most similar driving conditions, ie., speed and lack of stops, yet the leg without the acetone got worse fuel economy. Here's the data:
From NY area, acetone in fuel, avg speed = 55mph
563 miles 22.078mpg
Maryland to NC, acetone in fuel, avg speed = 63 mph
274 miles 24.4 mpg
to Huntersville NC and Columbia SC - avg speed = 65mph, no acetone added this leg of trip (just residual leftover):
441 miles 19.77 mpg
Trip to Disney World, Lake Mary, FL, Inverness, FL, avg speed = 62mph no acetone in fuel:
283 miles 18.21 mpg
Most of this trip leg, avg speed = 81.25mph followed by 15 minute backup do to major accident between tractor trailor trucks. Drug store acetone added, not 100% pure (fragrance additives in ingredients)
342 miles 19.46 mpg
SC to Raleigh, NC leg, drug store acetone with fragrance, bad weather conditions, lots of slowing down, accelerating back to speed, avg speed 74 mph:
278 miles 18.28 mpg
As you can see, a wide variety of conditions affect economy. However, the two most comparable legs of the trip were Maryland to NC and NC to SC west end of state. All highway driving at speeds chosen for economy. On the legs home from FL, I chose to drive much faster, as we were getting anxious to get to NC. We hit tropical storm Tammy on the SC/NC leg, so the last 200 miles were driven in blinding rain, almost stop and go traffic and a lot of lane changing and accelerating back up to 72mph, which I tried to maintain when possible. The breaking and hard acceleration seriously decreased economy in this case.
My conclusion? Acetone seems to work under comparable conditions, going from 19.77 mpg to 24.4 mpg under identical driving conditions. My vehicle's EPA rating is 19mpg highway, BTW, so part of the savings is driving technique. Not bad for a big hulking SUV.
-- Take care,
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm Business sites at: www.dv-clips.com www.mwcomms.com www.adventuresinanimemusic.com -

Plus the energy required to displace all of that water as you rolled through it.

Interesting.
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:44:16 -0400, "James C. Reeves"

are meaningless, as 15% difference in mileage can often be attributed just to difference in fuel formulation. I CONSISTANTLY got about 20% better fuel mileage on the Toyota Starlet running Amoco, or Standard in the North Eastern US than I could get with Canadian gas in the eighties. I'd go AT LEAST as far on an American gallon of Amoco as I could on a Canadian gallon (5/4) of Ontario supplied Shell, Esso,PertoCan (Fina or Gulf at that time) or Texaco.

Acetone could dissolve plastic components of your fuel system and cause water which might be suspended in droplets to dissolve in the gasoline.
--
Earl F. Parrish