Adjust Shift Cable? (96 Ford Ranger, 3L, 2WD)

1996 Ford Ranger, 3L, 2WD. Sometime it won't go into gear. Most of the time it does go into gear and drives great. The trouble shooting section of the Haynes manual says to adjust the shift cable. I'm trying to adjust the shift cable but the manual is very confusing. The instructions say: "Working under the vehical, pull down the lock tab on the shift cable and remove the fitting from the manual shift lever ball stud."

I see no lock tab anywhere. Could someone point out where I'm supposed to find this from the picture above? There is only one place in the picture where it says lock tab (near the rear with the arrow and the words View Z). Is that the lock tab they are talking about? If so, what is it supposed to look like? That part on my truck is a big plastic thing with seemingly no lock tabs. Just behind that is a kind of tab but it doesn't appear to do anything when taken off.

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about:

?action=do&link=
Has anyone adjusted a shift cable on a 96 Ranger? Any hints?

Reply to
anon