Advice needed for modification

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus SEL with the 16 inch tires.

> I want to modify the suspension to improve on cornering ability. I > want to do this because I happen to live on some pretty rugged

terrain

and the highway that runs through my County is very twisty and > sometimes I don't get adequate steering feedback from the car

probably

because it has power steering. > But the main concern is road holding abilities. Is it possible to > install a front roll bar for better cornering?

You already have a front roll bar/anti-sway bar.

First step... get the rear anti-sway bar & hardware from a 96-99 SHO and install that first... it will instill less understeer.

Install urethane bushings in place of the rubber ones.

Get sticky HP tires... at the cost of longevity.

There are shocks & struts available as upgrades. Variable rate "cargo-coils" for the rear. How far do you want to go?

Check some of the Taurus/Sable enthusiast sites for further details.

Rob

These Urethane bushings, where are the located on the suspension and where can I buy them? What's the best brand for this stuff?

Stiffer struts, gas shocks, gargo-coils. I need something that will stop the car from all the body roll. You would believe how fast everyone around here loves to take those switchbacks through the woods at break neck speeds. So I need to stop the body roll because that gets annoying and it prevent the car from griping as well as it could. What are the best aftermarket sports struts that would be recomendable?

I would also want a better feel of the road. In other words I would like to "sport tune" the suspension.

I would also like to put in racing seats for both front passengers. The kind with the 5 point safety harnesses. When I take those sharp turns my front passenger doesn't have much to hold on to and so she would slide around on the seat. The sport seats should hold both of us in place for a better ride. How are they installed? Do new holes need to be drilled in the floorboard?

I'll eventually add a fire extenguisher bolted between the two front passengers seats on top of the hump where the floorboard is. I've seen cars catch fire before either from grease on the engine or because a fuel line ruptured.

Short of just buying a new Mustang Cobra for the purpose. How can I get my humble sedan to handle more like a sports car? I prefer my Taurus for these road trips because it has a usable back seat as well as plenty of trunk space. Plus it would be a "sleeper car", my Taurus won't attract nearly as much attention to the police than a Stang with racing stripes will. My Taurus is already plenty powerful as it has a little over 200hp, which is plenty for the purpose. I love having all that passing power at my disposal.

Reply to
eastwardbound2003