Advice on a Ford Tempo '89 problem

Hello to everyone on this group,

My sister owns a '89 Ford Tempo with really low mileage (like 90 000km or 56

000m). The car is really clean, almost no rust except in 2 very little spots, the interior is great, etc. The car was owned by an old person who used it to carry groceries (you get the picture). She got it at the beginning of summer.

However, a few weeks after buying it, we noticed that when we started the car for the first time of the day, it would shut off, then we could start it immediately again and everything worked fine for the rest of the day. We didn't worry, we thought it was a minor inconvenience (my sis is on a budget so she can't afford huge repairs).

However, in the last 2 months, the car is stalling sometimes. She waits for like 15 minutes, then restart it and everything goes fine. If she tries before 15 minutes, the car either makes a sound like the starter wants to start but can't or does absolutely nothing.

But now in the past week it's gotten worse. She can't go longer than like

3-4 kilometers before the car stalls, and can't restart for like 30 minutes. She had her boyfriend tow her with his jeep to their appartment tonight... !

The battery has been replaced recently and the alternator is in good condition according to a mechanic we saw (and we've known him to be a good one). What else could it be ? Anyone has any idea ?

Thanks a lot for your time. If anything's unclear let me know.

Mathieu

Reply to
Mathieu Paquette

hi....can i say to ALL that post this sort of info is of no use when asking for help on engine problums (The car is really clean, almost no rust except in 2 very little spots, the interior is great, etc. She had her boyfriend tow her with his jeep to their appartment tonight... ! need things like when last serviced/engine type size ???/ fule type/ ect the more info the better the help given

the problum you are having can be a vast number of things due to lack of info try finding out sevice record could just be earth lead braking down under load due to age(most cars with ecu need a heavy earth load) /vacuum leak due to heat expansion(inlet/head gaskets) ignition coil braking down under load ect or could be one of the many sensors or a inlet hose crushing due to heat and suction (hoses soft ????) hard to say with out more info

Reply to
blackknight

I would say maybe a weak fuel pump or clogged filter.

but without more info you can never really tell.

Reply to
A Frazier

Even if the tires are good, I'm not sure towing with all 4 tires on the ground is really good for the transmission.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

Mathieu Paquette opined in news:xbldd.86017$ snipped-for-privacy@wagner.videotron.net:

Note that all the info deleted is irrelevent.. yet we still dont have enough info!

Does it just "click" or do nothing when it wont start... or does starter turn the engine normally? You're NOT clear!

With the lights on when this happens, what happens to them?

As it is, we canNOT tell if the problem is in the primary electrical system or has to do with ignition or fuel pump or whatever.

When it DOESNT start: Do you hear the fuel pump for 2 seconds when ign is turned on? If not, the fuel pump (intank) needs replaced.

Remove the ignition module (side of dist) and see if it has stiff caky grease on the back... if it does that module needs replaced, with clean new dielectric grease, whether or not it's the problem. There is a special tool to remove/install it. Check at parts store.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Let's just say, that when this happens, nothing happens when you turn the key,

You either have two separate problems, with the major one being failure to CRANK ENGINE.. so see if lights dim/go out... if so, check heavy cable connections; battery to distribution points (solenoid and ground on body/engine)

If they DONT, check for bad ignition switch ( does it warm while engine runs?) or bad connection from solenoid to starter and engine ground strap or bad solenoid on starter or starter itself and you have another problem, besides, to account for the stalling

so check that

fuel pump runs 2 sec with key on

engine cranks?

engine doesnt crank, lights dim

engine doesnt crank, lights dont dim

jiggling key with engine running causes it to stop

fuel pump runs, engine cranks, no spark = probably ignition module

FP doesnt run or is really noisy = probably fuel pump

remove and check that ignition module anyway make sure grease is greasy, not caky

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

As always the basics. Fuel pressure or ignition. Put a pressure guage on the fuel system. Pressure should be about 45 psi running. If you have fuel pressure, ignition system.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm sorry if I was not that clear, I'm not a mechanic (I know very little in cars, everyone has his job), and I'm French speaking so maybe my english ain't top notch. :-)

We finally found the problem. It was... the friggin' battery. Turns out that the charge is good on it, but there's a contact that's loose, so sometimes it goes off... The mechanic put his battery in her car and everything is working fine.

Oh well.

Thanks !

Mathieu

Reply to