Aerostar brakes

I have a 1993 Aerostar van and I am having problems with the rear brakes locking up all the time. Lining and drunslook fine, I think this has rear ABS, does anyone know anything about this?
thanks, Terry
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:18:07 -0800, "Terry Kangas" <kterryatpacifier.com> wrote:

and gone soft, so the handbrake pulls on automatically. Either get it fixed, or cut the emergency brake cable.

Cut the E-brake cable???? Some sound advice there....
We should always endeavour to disable safety related devices.... this way we can kill more people should the opportunity arise...
Where, in Gods name, does some of this shit come from? You are some piece of work.....

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:27:04 GMT, "Jim Warman"

In many cases the e-brake is no longer working at all when this problem crops up, and if cutting the cable makes the problem go away you can put a new cable and adjuster on if the van is worth fixing. The e-brake will NEVER stop that van if the service brakes go south anyway, and with an automatic it is virtually never used for parking either. In over 500,000km of driving aerostars, I used the hand brake about 5 times. I replaced the adjuster springs 4 or 5 times on the newer one, and had to release the pressure on the spring of the older one (different adjuster mechanisms - both of which tend to fail)
The right way to fix it???? depends on the actual problem - likely replace the spring (which in MOST cases ends up also requiring replacement of the front cable). The way most shops would fix it (if they managed to fix it at all) - replace all 3 brake cables, the in-wheel adjuster kits on both wheels, AND the cable adjuster ratchet and spring - at a cost of pretty close to a grand. Any less and they won't guarantee the repair.
I've seen quite a few where the owner's been stung for a few hundred clams and it still drags because the idiot that fixed it didn't know about the function of, or even existance of, the spring in question.

Terry Kangas wrote:

bearings that allowed the brake adjusters to pull the brakes too tight in reverse. The resulting drag allowed the E-Brake to over adjust, causing lockup at low speeds moving foreward. It eventually trashed the differential. I don't know if it applies to your situation, but I hope it helps a bit. The RABS on your 93 Aerostar won't have anything to do with it. When it malfunctions it usually just stops working. The system is pretty passive. Make sure the brake adjusters are installed properly, the brakes are adjusted properly, and the drums are clean and true. Temporarily disconnect the E-brake cables from the rear brakes. If the lockup happens again, there is a a problem with the service brakes.