Aerostar Gurgles

Hi,

I seem to have air in my cooling system. I can hear a gurgle sound from the heater core when I accelerate from an idle (don't hear it at idle)

The Engine doesn't overheat, and I can see the T-Stat working on the gauge Warms to 1/2 way up the gauge, and then the gauge falls, showing that it reached it's open temp... The heater core doesn't seem to be leaking, as I feel no wet spots or smell antifreeze.

I did check the overflow, and it was bone dry at cold. Can systems sometimes take on air, and the T-Stat is failing to bleed it properly, or do I have a more serious problem. I hate to think the worst, like an internal leak... Aerostars are SO EASY to work on for major engine work, so I hope that is not the head gasket or something! I see nothing on the ground as far as a coolant leak. This is an 89 with 125K and the 3.0L - Thanks

Reply to
RobGute

Sharon K.Cooke

So, this can be a very comon problem when the tank goes dry? maybe all I need to do is burp the system, and add to the tank? and I will be ok?

Reply to
RobGute

Just add distilled water, I always try to keep a jug around for battery maintenance and increasing coolant levels.

Matt

Reply to
sleepdog

opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Aerostar is a pain.. at least my 89 is, to get full... keep checking the rad cold, and add to top. Takes several times.

That drop you see on the gauge IS the air bubble indication, goes with the gurgle..

Aternative method: Get a flushing tee and install it in the highest point of hose from the thermostat area to heater.

Check the rad tank seals for seepage.. common.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Couldn't I just get one of those Rad Caps with a release valve on it I think STANT makes one?

Would the flushing tee just release air? or will it also help me to flush the system?

Also, are you talking about the plastic rad tank itself for leaks? like around the hoses, etc, or do these just break over time? (the tank itself) what seals am I looking for specificly on the tank?

Thanks so much

Reply to
RobGute