Aerostar isse(s)

Hello Everyone,
Well, let me get right to it: 1993 Aerostar, 3.0L, 252k -Fuel gauge stopped working. Sometimes reads full after it's just been filled, otherwise it almost always hovers around the 1/4 mark.
Very occasionally will jump up to 3/4 or 1/2 but after a few minutes will drop back to empty or 1/4. Noticed that it doesn't change when driving over bumps, significant or otherwise. -Very recently the van has started "chugging" after passing the 70km/h mark. Sporadic, inconsistent lurching, but always after accelerating beyond 65- 70 km/h. Kinda worrisome on the highway. Recently changed the plugs, air-filter, and oil. No difference. Used a couple of those "fuel-injector-cleaner-in-a-can" the last few fill-ups, but to no avail.
Any and all suggestions/tips most certainly welcome. Thanks, Mac
section 8 wrote:

Fuel pressure problem...: one, two, or all three...: fuel pump, fuel filter, & pressure regulator.
You are right in the sweet-spot mileage-wise for any of these failures.
Rob
Thanks for the reply. Is it an issue that would, literally, start all of sudden like it did? And are these problems that, say, my brother and I could tackle ourselves over a weekend with a Haynes manual?
Thanks

section 8 wrote:

They could have been building up & compounding. Get the Ford service manual on CD from eBay and a fuel pressure meter from Autozone. Haynes manuals are lacking.
-Fuel filter - start here. Replace. 1/2 hr. Check pressure - look for upwards of 35psi. 20 or below will show up as the issues you present.
-Pressure regulator. Does pulling the vacuum line affect pressure? If not, it's stuck. 1/2 hr. to change, check pressure again.
-Fuel pump - Could completely die out w/o warning - and may be on it's way. 1.5-3 hrs., check pressure again.
Rob

Thanks Rob! Huge help. Very much appreciated!