Aerostar power steering leak (part 2)

Now that the big leak is fixed, I can see a smaller leak in the rack and pinion assy about 2 ounces of fluid every few days. I can tolerate $10 a year on fluid until the leak gets bad enough to fix or I end up selling it.
I'm thinking about rigging up an automatic refill like the kind used to keep chicken water dishes full. Looks pretty easy to do drilling a hole in the cap. Anyone ever done that?
Where does the R&P leak from? Looks like it's coming from right under the PS pump area but can't tell with the fan blowing all over.
Now that the big leak is fixed, I can see a smaller leak in the rack and pinion assy about 2 ounces of fluid every few days. I can tolerate $10 a year on fluid until the leak gets bad enough to fix or I end up selling it.
I'm thinking about rigging up an automatic refill like the kind used to keep chicken water dishes full. Looks pretty easy to do drilling a hole in the cap. Anyone ever done that?
Where does the R&P leak from? Looks like it's coming from right under the PS pump area but can't tell with the fan blowing all over.
Well, I paid $30 more for one from Ford to be sure I got one that was quiet. But noooooooooo... I could have bought the cheapest one in town and got the same noise this one does after only a few weeks. Really disappointed in Ford for this.

The noise could be coming from the leak sucking air. Once air gets into the lines, it sounds like a growl or rumble, almost like a bad bearing in an electric motor. If that's the case, it doesn't matter how much you spent on the pump. -- SC Tom

It sounded that way when I picked it up from the shop and they said it would take awhile for the air to be flushed out. Got better but still whines.
That's about all the time I have to waste on this engineering marvel.

Very possible. However, of the many Ford trucks, cars, and Broncos, I or members of my family have owned over the years, probably half of them had power steering pumps that whined, growled, or were just plain noisy. Most lasted at least 40k to 50k miles before any problems reared their ugly heads. What I am saying is that it might just be the nature of the beast. As long as the pump is doing its job and the noise doesn't cause complaining neighbors, howling dogs, or visits from the local noise police, just use it. DaveD

It's pretty noisy - almost as bad as the bad pump. I'm taking it into the Ford dealer next week for a once over, and hope to hear their explanation.

- It's pretty noisy - almost as bad as the bad pump. I'm taking it into the Ford dealer next week for a once over, and hope to hear their explanation.
Pump was OK. 3-4 days after R&P was replaced, all is quiet....