Aerostar power steering pumps

In the years I drove my 93 (2000-2005), the PS pump went out twice. And even when the new ones were installed, they still whined. Heck fire, the wife always knew when I was
coming home - she could hear it a half block away.
Did they ever get the PS problem fixed in the later models? I'm looking at a 97, but if they still used the same old PS pump, that's reason enough not to buy it.
Fred

Some whine, some dont... the whine is usually worn out or cheap fluid.
OR it COULD be air incursion through a seep leak in the return line
And those pumps and racks arent specific to the aerostar..
BTW, what's your point?

I'm looking at a 97, but I don't need to wake all the neighbors (and the wife) when I'm slipping home at 1am.
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 02:09:54 GMT, "Fred"

problem other than one line that rusted through. I sold my '90 with a4,000 on it to a friend who took it to almost 300,000 - never touched the power steering. My one brother has had 2 (91 and 97) and never a PS problem. Other brother also has had 2, 1991 and 1997 - both 4wd - and no power steering problems. His 91 went over 300,000. Both still have their '97s. There is nothing made today to take their place, so they are hanging on to them.
Thanks. Sounds like you had better luck than me. Mine didn't leak either -- never had to add fluid, and always used real live power steering fluid, not AT fluid. It's not just my mine that whines. I have heard several Aerostars whining away. Also the mechanics at the 3 garages that I deal with all say it's a common problem with Aerostars.
Mine was a 90, and I was hoping that the later models had fixed the problem. Replaced it 2 or 3 times in the last 4 years.

Anyone know what is a good brand of PS pump to use - I mean besides from the dealer.