Aerostar Trans Slipping

New problem with 97 Aerostar - when shifting from 1st to 2nd, there is a pause before 2nd kicks in, then it grabs when it connects. 2nd to 3rd OK. Then when downshifting from 2nd to 1st, same pause and clunk when 1st connects.
Fluid is fine - don't know anything else to check before heading to the mechanic.
Any ideas what could be causing the problem?
Bob

before 2nd kicks in, then it grabs when it connects. 2nd to 3rd OK. Then when downshifting from 2nd to 1st, same pause and clunk when 1st connects.

AT (I assume so, given the vehicle)? Sorry, it's going to need a significant rebuild. Without looking at my nonexistant manual, but with experience with other ATs, I'd say a clutch or accumulator is gone or on its way to transmission heaven. A third choice is that your transbrake is defective. :-) (for those who know what I'm talking about on the last)
Since you don't have this experience on 2-3/3-2, I'm calling for a first gear clutch.
Happily, this is fixable. BUT, pleas note the absence of the words easly or inexepnsively.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

So Kim Jung Ill shows up at the barbecue. "Wait,"

Thanks. That happened after a 100 mile trip at 60-70 mph. Don't know if head might be a problem, but ever since then, it's been smooth as normal. I have noticed a very slight tug-and-relax while driving steady around 30-40 mpg for several years, so maybe it's rebuild time. Trans fluid is crystal clear and no gritty feel. I'm disappointed I only got 125K miles out of it though. But still cheaper to get that fixed and replace the PS pump every couple of years than spend $10-20K for a replacement.
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:34:39 -0800, "Guv Bob"

pause before 2nd kicks in, then it grabs when it connects. 2nd to 3rd OK. Then when downshifting from 2nd to 1st, same pause and clunk when 1st connects.

might be a problem, but ever since then, it's been smooth as normal. I have noticed a very slight tug-and-relax while driving steady around 30-40 mpg for several years, so maybe it's rebuild time. Trans fluid is crystal clear and no gritty feel. I'm disappointed I only got 125K miles out of it though. But still cheaper to get that fixed and replace the PS pump every couple of years than spend $10-20K for a replacement. I had to replace an accumulator on my 90. Also had the quill shaft let go, and blew a converter/front pump seal on the 89?. Other than that both my 89 and 90 transmissions were solid to over 240,000km Both were 3.0 liter XLTs

Not bad. This one trip in March was the only time I felt the slipping. I drive it daily and nothing since then.
May be related or not -- the trans dipstick shows the proper level, but is filled with bubbles. I wonder if that means it's too low or too high?

I have always associated bubbles in vehicle fluids with water in the wrong places. When was the fluid last changed?
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

2005. LOL!!!