Aerostar transmission

I have a 1996 Aerostar. On two occasions recently, when I have started up with the engine cold and backed out of the driveway, I have found that, when
I shifted from reverse to drive, the transmission did not engage immediately. On the first occasion, there was a lapse in time of about 10 seconds. On the second occasion, I had to shift from drive to drive 2 (it did engage drive 2) and then back to drive to get it to engage in drive. The transmission fluid is in the correct range. I have 125,000 miles on the vehicle and the transmssion was serviced by Ford at 60,000 miles as part of their regular servicing, not because of any problem.
Any thoughts?
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 16:23:23 -0400, "David Simpson"

the fluid is just a touch low, the symptoms you note can occur. Fill the trans to the full cold level when cold. It SHOULD be slightly over the hot full when hot. I believe there is actually a modified dipstick available. Slow engagement when cold was a common problem up here in the "great white north" and overfilling by 1/4 inch on the stick usually solved the problem (at least on both of mine). *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***